Monday, August 27, 2007

Moving on...

And then the next morning you really feel sore.

Over the past week, I've been pretty bummed out (to say the very least) about the whole hard drive thing. I mean, I had braced myself for the worst the moment I heard the drive emitting that ominous clicking sound the weekend before last, and by last Saturday, when the body was officially committed to the ground, I thought I had already pretty much gotten all my mourning out of the way. But then when I woke up on Sunday morning, it really started to pain me. I lost all my gotdamned music, man!

Fortunately, I had backed up a lot of my data... But then, a whole lot more of it I had not. And sure enough, most of the stuff I didn't back up was the stuff that's probably hardest to find. For some reason, I tended to back up albums more than individual tracks, so the rare, random mp3s I found in odd places, the custom mixes, the exclusive tracks... Gone, baby, gone.

And then there's the hundreds of personal photos, like a thousand reference photos for TOO MUCH BEAUTIFUL WOMAN and other projects, notes, drafts, randomly recorded ideas, sketches, bookmarks, journal entries, pricey applications obtained via fortuitous or dubious means that now have to be re-acquired...

On the more immediate level, a lot of the music and pics I wanted to put up here in posts I had lined up for the near future is also gone. But what are ya gonna do? *sigh* Really, I have nobody to blame but myself... So I might as well just man up, take the L, and move on.

There. Manned up. Moving on. Moaning about it no more.

One thing, though: Please forgive if I occasionally have to bum some music from y'all... Including stuff you might have originally gotten from me. For instance, those of you with whom I traded music at that other place where we were sharing Brazilian, Congolese, Latin and Highlife music a few months ago? If you have that Giants of Danceband Highlife compilation I put up back then, hooketh thy boy up.

Moving on.

2 comments:

Pieter said...

Hi Uchenna,

I've got that Giants of Danceband Highlife (digital). Now I've got to figure out what's the easiest/quickest way to get it to you?

What say you?

Pieter

Comb & Razor said...

that would be just great, Pieter... i'd really appreciate that!

well... i guess it's on you, though; whichever means is most convenient for you, just let me know.

thanks!